It shouldn't come as much of a surprise that, in a year where nothing has come easy, our greens aerification has become more complicated than ever due to the weather. As of this writing, we still have 4 greens remaining to be aerified: #12, 15, 17, and 18. The rainy, cloudy, and persistent wet weather has certainly dampened our aerification plans this fall.
|Sand channels create avenues for easy root growth |
and for water to drain.
We were able to aerate a few greens each day through the week last week, which helped us immensely. We are running out of time! This is not the ideal time for greens aerification, as the days are shorter, the ability to heal is greatly diminished, and the presence of frost and other weather factors can delay or cancel our plans altogether.
This morning we had plans to finish the "final four" greens. However, we got rain early this morning and we are expecting more rain this afternoon. Punching the greens is the easy part; the cleanup and working the sand in always requires the most time and labor. And unfortunately, we need perfectly dry conditions for the sand to fill into the holes. Wet sand will not go down the holes, and if the green is soft the holes will close up when we start moving machinery around on them. So the entire process will be for naught if we attempt this in wet weather.
Our next dry day looks like Wednesday. We plan to finish then, so we will have temporary greens on these final four holes for most of the day. The greens will reopen for Men's League at 4:30pm. Special thanks for the patience and understanding of our membership for allowing us to keep this process going.